4G / 5G Backup Policy
Our Motto is “We keep you Connected”
For cable Internet customers and for those customers desiring a reliable Internet backup, we provide the following. Please make sure your quote contains the capabilities described in red.
Our Four Backup Methods (in order of reliability)
Installed Flat Rate Cellular Backup SIM Cards: A CELLULAR BACKUP CAPABLE ROUTER is installed with a SIM CARD that enables within 1 second of a primary Internet loss. Here is a video on it’s operation.
Tethering to Your Android Phone: All PEPWAVE/PEPLINK routers are capable of tethering an Android phone 4G 5G Tethering to Pepwave Routers to the router for Internet backup.
Our Emergency Internet 4G Routers: We maintain a few emergency 4G routers with active SIM cards ready to deploy. One account has a static IP. First come, first served but so far we only run out after a hurricane.
On Demand SIM card: We order a SIM card. You retrieve from the retail store and install into your 4G capable router.
Unlimited Data Plans
We must order a SIM card through a cellular company employee we know. The cost are as follows (updated 9-3-2021)
- Prepaid: 16 GB/mo (8GB/mo + 8GB roll over/mo) for $25/mo. (Best value for just disaster recovery of voice and minor data.)
- Business: 12Mbps data rate for $75/mo. Throttled after 50 GB/mo. https://www.business.att.com/products/wireless-broadband.html
- T-Mobile- 100GB/mo for $50/mo (Best value if you have coverage)
- Verizon (Best coverage, most expensive. After “unlimited” plan exceeded, speed slows to 600Kbps)
- Personal = 100GB for $90/mo per https://www.verizon.com/plans/devices/hotspots and then answer questions to define your BYOD device.
- Business on Cell phone Plan = 22GB for about $45/mo.
- Business = 50GB for $99/mo per https://www.verizon.com/business/products/networks/connectivity/lte-business-internet/
Use www.cellmapper.net to find your tower for 4G/5G coverage
A line of site of under 3 miles is desired with a low point half-way between the tower and your site.
Select Provider = click on “Provider” first box and enter 3102 for T-Mobile or 3104 for AT&T or 3114 for Verizon
Map settings = Open Street Maps
Location search = (your address)
Settings = Display Towers
We can also install antennas on roofs for better coverage.