Popular Internet Security Methods
Penetration Testing and Domain controller testing
Use two or more third party penetration testing tools to test a domain and then plug the detected holes.
Layered Network Security
Install layered network security. The more layers, the better but the highest performing layer is not the most expensive.
Computer server security
- Operating System Patches are scheduled and attended.
- Virus protection software from a paid service with virus updates set to daily.
- Daily server health monitoring from our data center.
A firewall stops travel to risky destinations. It’s like GPS on a teenager’s car
Install an advanced security router using professional install services from the manufacturer. You attend the session or answer a survey to lock things down to essential traffic.
- May we lock out access to/from Russia, China and Iran IP addresses?
- Who needs social media access at all or at what times
- Can we restrict surfing to 100 web sites? Will you accept an open Internet research computer on it’s own network?
- May we shut down Internet access and or wifi at certain times?
- Restrict access to a current MAC list. A visitor’s laptop would not work with a hard wired connection.
- Only DNS, HTTP(S), DHCP and ICMP services for LAN and WiFi interface.
Use an ant-virus that establishes daily virus pattern updates and allows for central management for all of your PC’s.
DMARC protects your domain identity from being stolen
DMARC is a registration of your email domain that tells the world what servers can use your domain name.
Active Directory (AD) server controls your staff’s behavior
A computer virus is a malicious software program that runs on your PC. Prevent virus installs and you prevent viruses. An AD server is a guard that tells work stations what it can and can not access or install, enforces complex passwords and password changes, restricts users to only the required network directories for them to do their job.
Added security against human behavior
- Simulated safe email phishing attacks to hack your employees urge to click on untrusted hyperlinks. This is another 3rd party audit point.
- Security cameras archive video and/or audio at your premise and archive offsite if desired.
VPN connections for voice and data traffic
We use 256bit encryption VPN tunnels to connect to our customers. We started using encrypted voice back in 2004 before anyone else. Now, it’s a VoIP requirement for many industries.
Isolated voice and data networks
- Physical separate voice and data cabling and Ethernet switches are provided.
- Logically separated VLANs from the edge router are programmed.
We believe Apple IOS is more secure than Android. We can extend group security policies to these devices.
The cyber insurance industry is young and coverage has many gaps. Yet, it’s sometimes required by your business partners. Money spent on prevention via the above methods to include 3rd party audits increases your chance of being paid for a cyber claim.
Things we do at our own cost
- Infotel staff is https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov certified and fingerprinted. Our DCJS # is 11-5961.
- We use encrypted SIP communications and even use separate voice and data networks.
- Our email domain is protected against spamming. Most IT companies don’t do this.
- We will tell you, our customer, how to manually backup your data for free. It’s that important.
- We will ethically “security hack” any referral and provide a report.