Our Internet Security Layers
Internet security is like home security
Keep all the doors and windows locked to prevent intrusion from the outside and don’t open a door for anyone who knocks.
We operate our own data center. Operating many Internet connected devices and having multiple Internet connections, we have a large “surface area” of attack. We sell what we use. Our Internet security package is based on a simple and industry accepted concept of multiple layers. Here is an overview.
Deployment and auditing
None of this works if your employees or ours are not reliable. Speaking for Infotel, we have been in business since 1988 and we are told (and we agree) we have great employees who care. The owners, who overview security, are an engineer (build) and an accountant (audit) and challenge each other from clearly different skill sets.
First, a backup is the best defense.
Click here for details
VPN connections for voice and data traffic
We use 256bit encryption VPN tunnels to connect to our customers. We started using encrypted voice back in 2004 before anyone else. Now, it’s a VoIP requirement for many industries.
Active Directory (AD) Services / Server
A computer virus is nothing but an installed program that is run on your PC. Prevent program installs, you prevent viruses. An AD server sits on your computer network and tells work stations what it can and can not access or install. It simply locks the doors and asks if your on the list when one knock on the door.
Two Internet edge devices
- We provide a voice optimized firewall locked down by access control to only Infotel Systems.
- We provide a security optimized layer 7 security firewall to filter content, applications and risky human activity. This prevents your staff from opening a door to the outside
- Physical separate voice and data cabling and Ethernet switches are provided.
- Logically separated VLANs from the edge router are programmed.
Server and PC level security
- OS Patch Updates; automatic for PC and scheduled and attended for servers are managed.
- Virus protection updates are set to automatic.
- Server health monitoring is a constant watch from our data center.
Security against human behavior
- Our company and techs are all https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov class trained, certified and fingerprinted. Our DCJS # is 11-5961.
- We provide simulated email phishing attacks (and education) to our customers.
- Security cameras archive footage off motion at your premise and archive offsite if desired.
We prefer IOS over Android. We can extend group security policies to these devices.