Regulations Require Encrypted Voice, Separate Networks, Protected Storage & Backup Internet
Why is this an issue?
Your old phone system used something called (POTS) Plain Old Telephone Service. The government considered it impervious to hacking. It was the standard for one hundred years since Alexander Graham Bell. Yet, most VoIP phone systems don’t use this direct private path. They use the wide open Internet and they connect to your local area network. So…
Non compliance to your industries VoIP and network regulations can cost you thousands of dollars. Google https://www.google.com/search?q=pci+fines
Here is a violation example
Your sales person just took a credit card number over your new Voice over Internet (VoIP) telephone system. The system does not feature VoIP audio encryption. Regretfully, many systems fail this VoIP security requirement as PCI 3.0 was only ratified in November 2018.
We list in detail these standards below
- FIRNA – recommends business continuity systems such a 4G internet backup to a failed Comcast Internet.
- HIPPA – requires voicemails, audio recordings and call reports to be protected. Unlike national providers, we can provide an onsite storage for the ultimate in compliance.
- PCI – Telephone system VoIP security rules. We encrypt all traffic.
- NIST – standards for VoIP security to include separation of voice and data networks. A national VoIP company that self-install ships phones in a box does not comply.
- SOX – Reflects NIST standards for data network protection.
- Personal Data Privacy and Security Act – Failure to meet “accepted industry standards and widely accepted practices” a federal crime.
- FCC E911 – Kari’s law is a 2018 update to E911 emergency calling requirements. We fully comply.
So what is the security compliance of your current VoIP provider?
- Vonage – VoIP explains the dangers of using VoIP if you verbally take credit cards over the phone. Their web site states “What can you do to protect yourself?, DON’T USE VOIP.
- Ring Central – use of encryption started in late in 2018 according to bulletins.
- Many smaller VoIP providers are not yet compliant with these regulations.
- Infotel Systems has encrypted their VoIP communications and used physical network isolation since the very first VoIP customer in 2003.
Infotel Systems designs for VoIP security.
- VPN – We encapsulate your voice transmission in a VPN. This protocol is the only way we connect.
- Voice Recordings – Internet accessible voice recordings violate several regulations. We can provide a recording server with no open Internet connection.
- Separation of voice & data networks – We run separate voice & data cables and use separate voice and data switches.
- Internet backup – We offer 4G Internet backup to meet business continuity guidelines.
You want security, just don’t lock the door, eliminate the door. For traffic to stay in a lane, build a private road. Our old school methods are more complex than shipping phones in a box. National VoIP providers can’t dispatch to do the things that are required for VoIP security compliance.
We offer a simple security audit at no cost and will provide you a written report to show to your current VoIP provider.
Please call us now at 804-266-6600 !
A smart technical person will answer 80% of your questions on this and ANY VoIP question and answer the remaining 20% by email the same day!